Job Posting: 12-39 – Accountant VI (Cost Accountant) (Work In Texas Job ID # 2662875)
Position Title: Accountant VI (Cost Accountant)
Class/Group: 1022/ B23
Number of Vacancies: 1
Division/Section: Chief Financial Office / Accounting
Salary Range: $6,250.00 – $7,083.33 / Monthly
Hours Worked Weekly: 40
Education Required: See job description
Experience/Training Required: See job description
Job Description: See job description
License(s) / Certificate(s) Required: See job description
Agency Address: 300 West 15th Street, Suite 1300, Austin, TX 78701
Work Location: Same
Refer Inquiries to: Human Resources
Telephone: (512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-2104
How to Apply
- Register as a job seeker with the Texas Workforce Commission’s Work In Texas (WIT) online application system and employment website and fill out an electronic application on the WIT site.
- Applicants must receive notification from WIT that they have been matched (qualified) for a position within our agency in order to apply.
- In order to be matched (qualified) for a position, please ensure your “Work In Texas” profile salary requirements match the minimum salary posted for this position.
- Applicants must provide in depth information in the "Special Training /Skills / Qualifications" and "Employment History" sections to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications.
- Applications are sent electronically to the agency via the WIT application system for review.
- New job postings are available to “Veterans Only” on the first day, after the first day all applicants may apply.
Work In Texas Job Match
- Business & Financial Operations / Accountants;Business Operations Specialists, All Other
- Computer & Mathematical / Business Intelligence Analysts
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Interested applicants must use the WIT online application system to apply.
Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant, please complete all fields in application or indicate N/A if not applicable. Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call (512) 463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
Performs advanced (senior-level) cost accounting and fee analysis work. Work involves analyzing costs, both direct and indirect, of services provided to agency customers and projecting revenue for each of the services in order to calculate cost recovery fees. Works under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice; analyze revenue sources and project revenue for given time periods
Develop and document detailed cost recovery fee methodologies for each of the agency’s business lines; analyze each fee set and compare to actual results on a monthly basis taking into consideration any changes in projected costs and revenue and report variances to management
Identify and establish benchmarks for cost recovery fees
Develop a detailed cost recovery fee plan for each business line to include specific dates each plan will be executed; present each proposed cost recovery fee, including the basis and assumptions used in calculating each fee, to Executive Management
Collect, examine and analyze costs and prepare cost accounting records, reports, and financial models to be used in determining cost recovery fees for services provided by each business line
Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and cost recovery accounting systems, making use of current computer technology to collect pertinent data
Develop and maintain policies and procedures
Develop and implement appropriate internal controls and procedures to obtain, evaluate, and report on relevant cost and revenue data
Report on break-even points and margins by agency business line
Develop and provide management with reports specifying and comparing factors affecting agency fees and costs
Perform detailed review of operational and cost assumptions including review and audit of backup documents supporting estimates from vendors and sub-contractors
Obtain knowledge of OMB Circular A-87 Cost Principals for State, Local and Indian Tribal Governments
Performs other related duties as needed
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
Experience and Training Required
- Six (6) years of experience in business analysis, cost accounting or related disciplines
Experience and Training Preferred
- Experience in and practical use of Cost Accounting
- Experience in evaluating the costs of delivering services and forecasting revenue
- Experience in preparing cost estimates to be used in cost recovery and/or establishing rates for services provided by contract vendors
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge in the application of contracting and accounting practices and procedures; extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial statements/reports; skill in the application of accounting theory and techniques.
- Knowledge of the principals of the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Working knowledge of the strategic planning process, budget management and pricing
- Excellent skill in communicating both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to understand, follow, and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to complete work with a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness
- Ability to gather raw data and to process that data into a meaningful form
- Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Ability to understand and explain economic and accounting information related to projects; ability to prepare and manage budgets.
- Ability to coordinate work flow; skill in assisting with establishing and carrying out priorities on an individual and departmental basis.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive and accurate schedules and reports; ability to prepare and/or make presentations to individuals and various internal and/or external groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in all communications; including the ability to exercise discretion when handling confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments, e.g. word processing and spreadsheet software (preferably MS Word, MS Outlook, and intermediate to advanced skills in MS Excel).
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications preferred.
- Must be able to learn new programs quickly.
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones
- Frequent listening and talking
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Occasional travel
- Occasional overtime