Job Posting: 12-41 –Database Administrator IV (Development DBA) (Work In Texas Job ID # 3140980)
Position Title: Database Administrator IV (Development DBA)
Class/Group: 0213 / B24
Number of Vacancies: 1
Division/Section: E-Government / IT Application Delivery
Salary Range: $5,833.33 – $6,500.00 / Monthly
Hours Worked Weekly: 40
Education Required: See job description
Experience/Training Required: See job description
Job Description: See job description
License(s) / Certificate(s) Required: None
Agency Address: 300 West 15th Street, Suite 1300, Austin, TX 78701
Work Location: Same
Refer Inquiries to: Human Resources
Telephone: (512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-2104
How to Apply
- Register as a job seeker with the Texas Workforce Commission’s Work In Texas (WIT) online application system and employment website and fill out an electronic application on the WIT site.
- Applicants must receive notification from WIT that they have been matched (qualified) for a position within our agency in order to apply.
- In order to be matched (qualified) for a position, please ensure your “Work In Texas” profile salary requirements match the minimum salary posted for this position.
- Applicants must provide in depth information in the "Special Training /Skills / Qualifications" and "Employment History" sections to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications.
- Applications are sent electronically to the agency via the WIT application system for review.
- New job postings are available to “Veterans Only” on the first day, after the first day all applicants may apply.
Work In Texas Job Match
- Computer & Mathematical / Database Administrators; Database Architects
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Interested applicants must use the WIT online application system to apply.
Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant, please complete all fields in application or indicate N/A if not applicable. Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call (512) 463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
Performs highly complex (senior-level) database administration and development work. Work involves coordinating the planning, development, maintenance, and monitoring of integrated database systems; evaluating and reviewing database policies and procedures; and maintaining data integrity. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Coordinates and/or conducts the design, analysis, and maintenance of database structures
Designs and implements procedures necessary to save and recover databases from hardware and software failures
Develops goals and objectives for the use and improvement of an efficient and cost-effective database system
Develops policies and procedures to guide in the use and acquisition of database software and resources
Establishes and implements necessary database security standards and controls
Evaluates and recommends database software packages for potential acquisition
Performs and reviews logical and physical data modeling, designs relational database models, and creates physical data models from logical data models
Performs database performance monitoring, implements efficiency improvements, and modifies existing database and database management systems
Plans, coordinates, and supports migration to new data management system software levels and verifies and tests to ensure data reliability and functionality
Assists in developing budgets
Assists in developing policies and procedures designed to ensure the integrity of the database environment
May supervise the work of others
Performs related work as assigned
- Attendance at an accredited four-year college or university with at least 100 credit hours, or year for year work experience in database development and modeling can be substituted.
Experience and Training Required
- Ten (10) years of experience designing, developing, maintaining and supporting diverse database systems, including ETL
- Five (5) years of experience in public service
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of information resources project management principles, best practices and tools; ability to effectively manage complex information technology projects; ability to conduct effective, thorough review of project requirements and deliverables; ability to conduct short and long-range project planning studies
- Thorough and current knowledge of the practices, principles, and techniques of computer operations of information resources technology that includes hardware, packaged software implementation, software development, data communications, local and wide area networks management; knowledge of the security limitations and capabilities of computer systems; includes ability to research, evaluate and interpret material and create effective narratives on IT issues and standards
- Knowledge and experience in the application of IT in Texas state agencies; knowledge of Texas state government, state legislative processes and the state budget process
- Excellent skill in communicating both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Skill in finding solutions for or to deal proactively with work-related problems; ability to identify and implement best practices; ability to recognize potential and existing problems, identify courses of action and apply contingency plans to solve problems as a project manager and in a team environment
- Skill in complex problem solving, and critical thinking in the operation of computers and applicable software
- Ability to work with limited supervision and to schedule workload to meet requirements and deadlines of the position
- Ability to serve internal agency customers, including executive staff, by focusing effort on meeting their needs, understanding their concerns, and effectively resolving issues; ability to identify and define user task needs
- Ability to make critical decisions in the best interest of the agency and it’s mission and goals, while following agency procedures; ability to process information logically
- Orientation toward action and ability to see the overall picture; ability to balance consideration of short and long term planning goals
- Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result
- Ability to look beyond the standard solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment while effectively organizing, prioritizing and coordinating work assignments
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in all communications; including the ability to exercise discretion when handling confidential information
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to develop a particular skill in others to bring them up to a predetermined standard of work performance; ability to supervise the work of others
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief written and oral instructions
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to complete work performed. Preferred technical experience includes but is not limited to:
- Oracle, MS SQL-SVR
- Business Objects/SAP Data Services/ETL
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing
- Occasional overtime
- Limited travel