Vision and Guiding Principles
Texas continues to balance a growing demand for delivering services to citizens against the budget challenges faced in today’s economy. With belt-tightening measures in place, tough decisions must be made on how best to prioritize agency and statewide investments in technology.
Chief among these considerations is the need for the state’s technology infrastructure to be reliable, resilient, and secure. Beyond infrastructure, agencies’ service delivery models must be responsive to the needs of Texans. Adopting cost-effective and efficient methods for delivering these services is a key priority for the state. From strengthening the state’s technology infrastructure to innovating delivery of citizen services, the value of all investment decisions must be demonstrated.
The 2012–2016 State Strategic Plan for Information Resources Management (Plan) describes the technology priorities expressed by the state chief information officer (CIO), the Plan’s advisory committee, state agency CEOs, agency information resource managers, and other stakeholders who provided input into the development of the Plan.
The Plan’s Vision recognizes the crucial role of the state in developing information technology solutions that respond to the needs of citizens. The Guiding Principles establish the foundation and rationale for the Plan’s technology priorities.
Texas stands as a leader in delivering effective, efficient, responsive, and trusted government services and information through flexible and secure technology solutions.
There are four guiding principles—Connect, Innovate, Trust, and Deliver—that influence the direction for technology management and are closely tied with the Plan’s priorities.
Texans connect with their government, their way. Through a broad selection of engagement options, all citizens, regardless of their level of ability, should expect to
- access services and information 24x7 through state websites and the state’s Internet portal
- register for services or obtain information through a variety of accessible channels
- report a problem or locate and communicate with a field office using their mobile devices
Strong partnerships foster innovation that delivers business value. Through sustainable collaboration opportunities, Texas will gain meaningful results that
- leverage technology services and solutions across agencies
- improve governance structures and processes
- implement leading-edge technology solutions that work for government
Public trust will not be compromised. To garner that trust, Texas must
- provide a clear and transparent accounting of government services and data
- reduce infrastructure and cyber security vulnerabilities
- protect the privacy of personal information
Technology solutions will deliver cost-effective and efficient results. To maximize the state’s investment in technology, Texas will
- continue to leverage shared services
- adopt alternate computing models, as appropriate
- promote a connected and agile workforce